Science of Yogic Breathing
Date(s) - 02/24/2018
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dr. Sundar Balasubramanian
Date: Saturday, February 24, 2018
Time: 11:00am – 5:00pm
Location: Multi-Purpose Room
Registration: Tuition $65 w/ lunch
Course Objective: The objective of this training is to provide Yoga teachers and general practitioners the basic principles and practice of Pranayama. This course is good for someone who wants to enter into Pranayama teaching in addition to their Yoga (Asana) teaching experience. This ten hours workshop/immersion will cover the scientific theories, techniques, and clinical applications of Pranayama.
Bio: Dr. Sundar Balasubramanian is a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina studying cancer therapeutics, and Yoga. His recent research provides evidence how Pranayama (Yogic breathing) practices could promote wellbeing in the context of health and disease. Sundar is a member of International Association of Yoga Therapists and the Integral Yoga Teachers Association, and is an IAYT-certified Yoga Therapist. He is the Founder/Director of PranaScience Institute, and a speaker of TEDx Charleston 2015. His recent book is “PranaScience: Decoding Yoga Breathing”.
More Info on the Science of Yogic Breathing:
- Interview at Yoga and Integrative Medicine Institute, Australia
- Podcast: Conversation with Ashton Szabo (December 8, 2016)
- New York Times article (November 9, 2016)
- Huffington Post article (January 20, 2016)
- Interview at South Carolina ETV Radio (Broadcasted on 4 days (November 9-12, 2015) via National Public Radio (NPR) member station)
- MUSC Public Relations News Release (Also contains 17 minutes video on Yogic Breathing practice)
- This talk below was given at a Charleston, SC TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community.